What I Did With My Wealth For 2012

2012 was a year that was very tough to lose money in the equity market. I was happy that my portfolio gained in value but was sad that I did not benefit much from the mini bull market as I cut lost on about 50% of my equities in October 2011. I expected a further slide of about 20% to 30% in equity for the year 2012 but at the end of 2012 the STI was in fact up by more than 20%! Equity was my worst investment bet although I did make some money selling a large chunk of my remaining equities.

As I was still cautious about the equity market, I further reduced my exposure to about 3.5% of my investment portfolio. I sold most of my Reits and dividend stocks and increased my purchase of SGD denominated Corporate bonds. Below are some of my new addition:

1. Aspial Corp, 5.0%, 3 yrs
2. Aspial Corp, 4.5%, 2yrs
3. Swiber, 5.8%, 1yr
4. Ezra Holding 5.0%, 3yrs
5. Maybank Perp 6.0% (secondary market)
6. ABN Amro 4.7%, 5 yrs (secondary market)
7. NOL 5.0%, 5yrs
8. Genting Perp, 5.13%
9. Wing Tai Properties, 4.25%, 10yrs
10. Cambridge MTN, 4.75%, 3 yrs
11. Olam Perp, 7%

At the end 2011, my monthly passive income was about SGD40K per month and some of the contributions were from Reits and dividend stocks which average about 6% to 7% dividend yield. However, when I switched from equites to bonds, the average yield for the switch caused a drop to slightly less than 5% for the same fund. So am I going to achieve my passive income target of SGD50K per month? I decided to increase my leverage and bought more bonds. The cost of leverage was about 0.91% to 0.93% p.a. for short term loan and I earned a spread of about 4%. In 2012, I am using banks' money to make more money! However, a world of caution just in case someone read my blog and decided to leverage blindly as well. My leverage level is about 25% and I have intention to increase it 30% this year. Most my assets are can be leveraged up to at least 60% but I am capping it at maximum 30%. A the end of 2012, my passive income did cross the SGD50k mark and I am glad to achieve what I had targeted for the year 2012. The value of my portfolio increased about 8% (not including properties appreciation) which I believed was below market average.

Most analysts and private banks predicted a bull market for 2013. These are the same people that predicted a slum for 2012 equity market. I have lost all confidence in their prediction and I have no ideal where to park my excess fund (cash flow from dividends, maturing bonds and leveraging). My ammunition in case of a significant market correction will be my 5% increase in leverage. I may use it or maybe not.

For those who are curious about my monthly household expense, it is about SGD15 to SGD20K per month and about $2.5K is actually insurance (also a saving). Beside some big ticket items like buying new cars every 3 to 4 years, I reinvest the all the saving. My financial target for 2013 is relatively easy: maintain my passive income of SGD50K per months and resist from buying more big ticket items.        


My Asset and Investment Portfolio


Note: I have taken out Loan as part of my investment portfolio to avoid any confusion. Life insurance is the cash value and not the insured amount.
      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Letter That Was Never Sent

This is why business leaders are reviled

Inquilab Zindabad ? No ! _____ (fill in the blanks) Murdabad .