Too Young to Retire at 39?

What is the ideal age for retirement? For me, the ideal age is when we achieve financial freedom. The next question will be how much is enough for retirement? I define financial freedom as follow:

  1. yearly passive income > yearly expenses
  2. having emergency fund for unforeseen situations
  3. sufficient insurance for any critical illness or disability
  4. having sufficient fund for the children education
  5. ability to maintain current lifestyle
I had done my due diligence on my check list and I had met all my conditions for retirement. All these conditions were met before I hit 40 years old. In fact, I had been planning my for my retirement for nearly four years before I decided to truly retire. 

The the big day came when I 'lost' my day job in Nov 2011. My day job was a contractual obligation when my father, brother and I sold away our business in 2008. Although I am excited about my life turning point, I was never prepared for the following situation:

  1. What to fill in on the application form field 'parent occupation' for my second son primary school enrollment form. 'Retired' is not a occupation and technically I am 'unemployed'. In the end, I decided to chose 'investor'  as my occupation.
  2. My application for a new credit card was rejected when I told the bank that I do not have a job.
  3. When someone ask me what is my occupation. I told them I am retired and they all give a skeptical look.
I am sure I will be experiencing more unpleasant situation due to my new found status and I hope I will get used to them soon. On the other hand, there are many advantages: 
  1. I can wake up at 9 am everyday  
  2. no more Monday blues
  3. indulge in my interests any day, any time.
  4. .....
The privileges of being retired at my age goes on and on. I hope I will not get bored too soon.









     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Letter That Was Never Sent

This is why business leaders are reviled

Business Jazz - 4th January 2013 - Guiding Words